Thursday, April 15, 2010

Spring = startitis

As much as I love the blanket, I'm ready for a bit of a break.  So I worked on this, the Inga hat. I'm nearly to the decreases and think it looks great.  I'm happy that my fair isle is looking smoother and smoother and the floats appear just right.  A good soak when I'm done and it should be just right!
So after working on that, I realized I was going someplace smashing on Wednesday.  Someplace outside of work, even though I attended with my fellow workers, and someplace I could bring my knitting along for the ride. 
I went to see....yup....a Twins game in their new ball park.  And not just in any seat, nope we got treated to a suite!  Talk about a great way to watch a ball game.  And even though it rained off and on, sitting outside the suite means you are protected by an overhang, so I could sit and knit and watch people scramble back and forth from their seats as the rain came and left.  Although we did not win this game, it was a nice afternoon.  And this is where the startitis came in.  I couldn't drag the blanket to the game, just too big and bulky.  I have a sock nearly to the toe decreases, but I knew I would finish it during the game and I wasn't about to kitchner the toe sitting there, while I could have brought something to hold the live stitches and just cast on the second sock, that was WAYYYYY to easy.  Instead, I picked 4 somewhat compatible sock yarns, lonely single skeins or almost full single skeins that were longing to be something.  I wasn't exactly sure what, but I cast on with the vague notion of making a skinny scarf, in striped sections, maybe changing up the texture of each row.  And started knitting.  I started with an inch of garter stitch and then moved on to stockinette.  I did one inch of each yarn.  So a solid rust in garter, then a painted stockinette.  Got to the next solid section, a hot lipstick red, and I switched to seed stitch.  Then back to stockinette in a painted yarn.  Decided I would just go back and forth switching from stockinette to seed stitch.  Now I'm thinking just maybe this will be a pillow cover. 

I would do probably 4-5 strips, seam them together and create a pillow top, sew that to a backing of somesort and it will be a pillow!  I'm thinking of alternating where the seed stitch falls so it will be staggered when seamed together.  Yup, just what I need, another WIP.  sigh...I'm hopeless....

No comments: