etsy

etsy

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Falling down the Yggsdrasil hole

I've been working steadily on the Yggsdrasil blanket.  Still loving it.  Slightly tormented by it.  I love how the cabled border is turning out.  The yarn is great, showing good definition, not scratchy, will be a good blanket to curl up under.  Now I realize it is April and if I don't finish this in the next month or so I'll be sweltering under it while I work on it.  So in a way good incentive to keep churning along.  Two nights ago I reached a fearful section.  The corner.  The first part of the corner after a false start worked out just fine.  Then I had to basically turn the corner, that is where the problems crept in.  Let me say the pattern and charts are good.  Clear, simple and clean.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  However, I was at a loss when I got to the turning the corner bit.  I could see from the directions that I would need to increase back to the needed stitches to continue up the next side of the border.  But there were NO instructions on how to get there.  I stared at the charts.  I reread the written directions.  Nothing beyond work rows 1-42 for braid corner.  Sigh...now I do not consider myself a knitting newbie anymore.  I've been knitting seriously for almost 4 years.  Not a tremendous amount of time, but I've done so many things during that time, my skills are solid.  Yet to not have a single statement on how to add the increases just baffled me.  I checked all the Ravlery projects and no one said anything about the corner.  So it must be me.  There must be some reason I am thrown for a loop on this section.  But last night I hunkered down, staring down the chart.  And just started to knit.  I ripped it back 3 times and then just seemed to go with the flow.  The end result is this.
It isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be, but it isn't bad either.  So I will keep whipping along.  I'm hoping to finish the second side by the end of the weekend.  One person's Yggsdrasil on Ravelry was COMPLETED in five weeks.  Five weeks.  Lord she must have knit in her sleep!  I'm hoping to have it finished possibly by the end of May, but I'm not swearing to it. 
And just as a foot note, spring arrived in Minnesota way early this year, leaves are all ready budding on trees, the lawns are perking up.  I'm afraid to hope we are really done with winter, although the temp was 35 degrees farenheit this morning, I'm still sticking to my sandals.  My toes are free and loving it!

No comments: