etsy

etsy

Monday, December 22, 2008

Socks DONE! Happy Birthday Anna!

I'm relieved to say I finished the second sock as hoped for on Saturday night. Now I still have many ends to weave in between the two socks, but the knitting is complete! And I'm really happy with how they turned out. I can't show you how they turned out because the batteries in my camera are dead and I had no extra ones at home. Not a good thing a few days before Christmas....so tonight will be one more stop on the way home to pick up batteries so the camera is fully charged for all the gift opening mania. I also got to the main color work section of the mitten as well. So I'm really in good shape to finish both knitted presents before the time to open them. Of course by not only saying it but TYPING it, I've just now waived a red flag at the knitting gods...but so be it.

Yesterday was my Anna's 12th birthday. TWELVE years old. My girl is amazing. Funny, goofy, and such a good kid. Since the weather was awful we did not go anywhere yesterday, but we had a nice time just the four of us. She loved her presents, especially when her grandma handed her a sizable chunk of cash to spend on anything she wants. Loved the open mouth, wide eyes look. Of course I look back in my mind to her first birthday, when she was baptized on her first birthday. We had been home from China for only a month and I could only dream of what our life together would be. But it is because of Anna's joyous happy soul that we became a family of 3, her love for me encouraged me to pursue getting her a little sister as well as another daughter for me.

I remember walking into daycare the 3rd day she started there, the other days she seemed indifferent to me picking her up at the end of the day, but this time it was like she got it, she knew I was ALWAYS coming back for her, I wasn't leaving her in another orphanage, she saw me that day, squealed and lifted her arms to me. The first time she did that. And always, every night when I would come pick her up, she would see me, her face would light up and run to me, arms wide open, hurling herself into my arms for a hug and a kiss. When I pick her up now from church or school, she may no longer hurl herself into my arms, but her eyes gleam with joy and there is always a smile on her face. This is the child that I was blessed to receive a little over 11 years ago in China. The best Christmas present I have ever received.

So I wish everyone a wonderful blessed Christmas. I'll probably be back before Christmas, hopefully to show pictures of the completed socks as well as mittens.

No comments: