etsy

etsy

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

still winter


So I'm farther along on the grey, black, cream socks. In fact there are hints of a blue grey in there as well. I altered the pattern, started out doing one of the lovely vintage sock patterns, a broken rib pattern that gives it a thermal underwear look which I like, but I didn't want to do the calf shaping or other "vintage" additions, so I just morphed it into a simple cuff pattern, my regular heel flap, and will do a stockinette foot. I'm just past the gussets and working on the foot section, so a bit farther than this picture. While I like the yarn a lot (Cherry Tree Hill) I'm struggling with the colors. In Minnesota in March it can just be depressing. We had (hopefully) the last winter storm yesterday/last night. It is -3 with a windchill of probably -15 at the moment. It gets old, everything is monochromatic. The ground is still snow covered, trees black and barren, lakes and pounds still frozen over, even if it is turning into rotten ice. But everything is white, grey, or black with many shades in between. But it is just in the hard phase of life here right now. So last night after getting home with the girls from piano lessons, driving on slick ice covered roads, sidewalk buried again in snow from the wind, I looked through my yarn and pulled out a red and pink Claudia's Handpainted skein called lipstick and wound it and am searching for just the right pattern to begin another pair of socks. Because I just can't look at more black, white, and grey yarn, no matter how nice it is nor how nice it is working up.
So just maybe the next picture will be of some lipstick colored, snow melting yarn flying into tootsie warming socks....

No comments: