etsy

etsy

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Lessons learned from spinning

My wheel has already taught me something. That I need to slow down. In many ways actually. Working full time, having 2 girls, and sharing a home with my mom, usually means from the moment I get up until the moment I go to bed. I'm the only driver, so after work I'm the one chauffeuring kids from each activity. When I do sit at my wheel I find myself having to consciously slow down my pumping of the treadles....my can I make that wheel fly, however, it does not create the type of yarn that I want. It produces highly over spun, twisting on itself with coiled energy, yarn singles. Instead of the springy, soft type yarn I want to create. So I think a wonderful by product of my wheel will be to slow down, take a breathe, let the fiber slid through my fingers rather than being pulled frantically and wound tightly on the bobbin. A good lesson I think....to remember to go slowly and methodically through all things, not just in spinning.

No comments: