etsy

etsy

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

356 pairs of socks

What a busy last week...my mom left for a month on the Alabama coast, she will escape the February winter and enjoy the view of the ocean from her condo window and walks on the beach.  I on the other hand will be enjoying views like this and shoveling the driveway!

I took this picture of the morning skies as I walked into work today at 9:30.  The school bus was late by 15 minutes this morning, my commute wasn't horrible even though we got over 3 inches of snow over night instead of the 1 inch or less that was forecasted.  Such is life in the north.  We deal with it while shoveling, trudging through slop filled parking lots, and yet looking happily at the sparkling snow that has covered up the dirty gray piles of the past.  So in that respect I enjoy the new snow.

Knitting is moving along, I'm about 3/4 done with Liz's prayer shawl.  The one big problem with lace knitting is there really isn't anything to show, it looks the same as before, just more of it.  A rumpled swath of fabric falling off my needles.  I won't predict when I will finish it as I'm so far behind where I thought I would be.  I'll just keep knitting it and eventually it will be done.

I've spun up some Pepi Lu Pue.  It is good, I think slightly under plied, but still nice.  Pictures of black and white yarn in a dark gray world do not make for good pictures.  I also started spinning some of the local charcoal colored wool I found at a local farm just north of here.  It is a bit wiry and has more veggie matter in it that I'd like, but it still is looking decent.  And there is nothing wrong with slowing down as I spin to pull out the bits of grass here and there. 

I did make one decisison though, I need more socks.  (ok, so maybe reading about the one guy who has 356 socks, yup, a new pair for each day of the year and he washes them all in one shot made me feel like I needed MORE socks!)  I realized that out of the last 5 pair I've knit, only one has been for me.  And going through my sock drawer I just threw out 3 of my worn out hand knit pairs.  So new socks are needed.  And SOON.  I can't imagine having a different pair every day though, not even if I knit 3 times as fast as I do.  Plus given the added benefit of being my take a long project, it wasn't hard last night to look through my stash and pull out some Sockkata and cast on some basic vanilla socks.  The cuff is done and I'm just starting on the plain leg section.  Perfect knitting at lunch or waiting somewhere...while at home, the shawl or spinning will call me.  Life is good....

No comments: