etsy

etsy

Monday, November 9, 2009

Home Spun Yarn Explosion


This is what happens when you get a niddy noddy.  You grab all the handspun yarn you wound into balls and skein them up.  It felt like my yarn exploded!  Much like those little compressed sponges in the animal shapes my girls loved, you dropped them into water and they slow absorbed all the water and kept growing and growing and growing as long as you kept adding water.  Well I kept winding and winding and winding and discovered much to my amazement that I have a LOT of handspun.  Some good, some not so good.  Which I view as my training yarn. 
I have much more than I thought I had.  Which trust me isn't bad at all.  It just means I need to figure out ways to use it up.  And to realize that I don't need to get more roving at the moment.  And just maybe I need to focus on knitting what I have in hand.  Trust me, I won't be suffering at all.  I have many lovely colors to play with, a lot of white, which can be used in fair isle or even trying out dying.  Great, another new idea?  Stop, some one help me.  I bought my niddy noddy at the Midwest Alpaca farmers fiber festival held at the Hopkins High school this weekend.  I thought the vendors were all very nice and had such lovely things to offer.
 I decided to get some suri alpaca roving.  It was the softest stuff I've felt in a long time.  It is a pretty champagne color.  That is going to sit in my roving basket until I'm quite confident in my spinning.  And since I need to knit like a wild woman to wade through some of the hand spun stash, that may be a while.  But just having it to look at and fondle works for me. 

No comments: