etsy

etsy

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Birthday Present Done


Our Thanksgiving was a knitting and spinning fiesta for me.  I planned to continue my cleaning and purging binge I'd been on the weeks leading up to the holidays.  But nope, I happily plopped myself down to either spin or knit most of the long weekend.  I did do motherly duties and helped Anna rearrange her room (only because I used it as a way for her to clean up her room).  But most of the afternoons found me in my room knitting and/or spinning.  I realized that I needed a birthday gift for my nephews bride.  I needed it quickly, like in a week.  So I remembered a pattern in one of the Interweave Holiday magazines for a Cable and Bobbled headband.  I looked in my stash and pulled out some of my own handspun.  Three hours later I had this.  I'm silly proud of it.  It is simple and perfect.  My yarn looks good and that makes me very happy.  And I loved that I knit from my stash and didn't go out and buy something.  This will be the perfect small birthday gift.


I also worked quite a bit on my mom's christmas present.  The pattern is the Latvian Wedding socks, I simply call them the "happy" socks.  I chose to simplify it by doing a regular heel flap using the multi colored yarn and will proceed with the foot just in the white rather than continue the pattern.  When I get to the toe section I will again use the colored yarn.  I smile everytime I work on these and I know my mom will like them and that is the best gift of all.

Other than that all is quiet at my house.  My girls are dragging out all the Christmas decorations as I type and we will set up our tree tonight after supper.  All I have to say is thank heavens for pre-lit trees.  I HATED putting the lights on the tree each year, I love that in 10 minutes I can have the tree up and lit and ready for all our ornaments to come out.  It is fun to see the special ornaments my girls receive each year and remember their significance.  Some are Chinese ornaments, some are truly American.  Just like our family. 

No comments: