etsy

etsy

Monday, December 28, 2009

The week AFTER Christmas

This is one of my favorite weeks.  The Christmas holiday is over, the pressures of gift giving and making is done.  Running from one place to another is done.  This week is another short week due to New Years, but no big plans are set for the long weekend.  Which translates into more relaxing times for me.

Our Christmas went very well.  We adjusted to the snow.  Yes, it snowed here in MN in case you didn't hear.  Check out the girls standing next to the snow pile across from us.  Crazy, if it keeps up, we will still have that pile in June!  It takes a very long time for something like that to totally melt.  But in the meantime, the girls can slide down the other side as much as they want.

Everyone got to our house safely, MK/Steve came from the lake in the wilds of Wisconsin on Wed. night instead of Thursday due to the storm.  I think they were happy with that choice when we woke up the next morning to 6 inches of new snow, with another 12 expected.  Fun times I tell you.  But it did make for a picutre perfect Christmas.  It was gorgeous outside.

And since I finished the Christmas knitting to my relief and everyone else's joy, I could start new projects.  In 3 days at home, I spun 8 ounces of roving in two different colorways...this is 100% Falkland wool.  The color is much prettier, it is a greenish blue with just a hint of brownish in it.  I hate trying to take pictures during the winter.  We never have sun and if we do, I'm at work and can't stop everything to rush out and take good pictures.  Which means I'm stuck in indoor lighting and flash bulbs which washes everything out.  Maybe if you squint your eyes and turn your head just so, it will look better.
This is the other roving, called Sugar Plum.  Seemed appropriately named.  100% wool.  Very soft and squishy.  I don't know what I'm going to make from it, maybe some fingerless mitts.  Will see what I feel like when I get to it.
The last thing I did was make a hat.  I pulled a free patter from Ravelry and using my handspun I made this.  When I was working on it, I showed Emily and asked her if she wanted it and she wrinkled up her nose and said NO!  I shrugged and said it would be the first thing for the craft fair I'm planning on working next December.  Well the moment I finished it, wove in the ends, Emily took it out of my hands and plopped it on her head.  She fell asleep with it on last night.  smile...I guess it was meant to be hers all the time.  So I started a second hat for the fair.  I have enough yarn to easily do that.  And her happiness in wearing the hat made it worth it.  So as December 2009 comes to a close, I can't wait to see what our new year will bring. 

No comments: